- 2 Sunbake Chocolate Hot Cross Buns, toasted and torn
- 2 – 3 tbls sherry, brandy or Cointreau
- 15 ml cornflour
- 1 x 425g Morello cherries, drained, reserving ¼ cup of
- 35 g castor sugar
- 40 ml kirsch
- 300 ml ready-made custard
- 1 pkt red jelly
- 150 ml whipping cream
- 1 tbls icing sugar
- 1 flaky chocolate or grated chocolate and cherries to
Arrange the torn hot cross buns in the base of a glass trifle bowl. Slowly pour over the sherry, brandy or Cointreau so it soaks into the buns.
Mix cornflour into 15 ml of cherry juice. In a pot over a medium heat, heat remaining juice. Remove from heat and add cornflour mix. Return to heat and stir the until the mixture thickens. Stir in reserved cherries, kirsch and cool.
Make up the jelly according to packaging instructions and chill until only slightly firm but still runny. Pour this over your marinated buns and chill until firm. Now layer the trifle with the remaining custard and cherry mixture, finishing with the whipped cream – chill at least 2 hours then serve garnished with grated chocolate.